Monday, November 7, 2011
Off Topic: How my daughter's birthday party was really a D&D adventure?
My daughter just turned 8 years old, and we had a party for her and seven of her classmates last Friday. When it was all done, the whole thing reminded me of a D&D adventure.
* The party started with food, pizza.
(D&D: You start in a tavern.)
* As dinner wound down, my wife walked up and delivered a clue on paper, starting a scavenger hunt.
(D&D: Old man approaches and gives out map and/or plot hook.)
* The kids went from location to location in the house, gathering clues. Each clue taking them to the next location.
(D&D: Story steadily builds, and the party gains experience.)
* The final clue led the kids to the garage where a pinata was prepared. They beat on the pinata until it burst.
(D&D: Boss battle against floating Beholder.)
* Once done, they picked up the candy.
* They retreated back to where they came for cupcakes, and then a sleepover with movies.
(D&D: Back to the tavern to count the treasure, and have an extended rest to recharge your powers.)
Yep, I think we just larped D&D!